Why I immeditely cancelled

I got all excited and purchased the pro subscription and started to port my Roll20 games over. Only to find that the character sheets for Free League would need manually creating and custom dice dont exist. This is a deal breaker for me. Shame. I’ll keep an eye on Astral. Back to janky Roll20.

Hey @Giganticube, this is pretty good feedback. I wanted to run some clarifications by you, though.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. I can’t find an RPG by that name. Are you referring to Free League, the RPG publisher? Alternatively, is Free League the D&D Adventurer’s league?

The way the character sheets in Astral works is anyone can make a character sheet for any system. It already supports a bunch of systems, like Pathfinder, Pathfinder 2, and D&D 5e. Once someone creates a new sheet, they can submit it for official support, so it’ll be included in the list of character sheets people have access to. However, to do this, Astral staff need to review the submitted sheet and then get official approval from the publisher. Also, once you have a new sheet, whether or not Astral is able to officially include it in their available sheets, you can always copy it for each character you use.

There are currently official sheets for D&D 5e, but I don’t see any for Symbaroum, Alien, or Tales from the Loop.

Actually they do! You can use custom dice like Fate dice, where you have a die with 2 1s, 2 0s, and 2 -1s. You can also have dice with arbitrary characters. Unicode is fully supported, so you could have a die that has 3 smiley faces, 2 frowny faces, and a single neutral face. You can define that die like so:

!(100d[😀,😀,😀,😥,😥,😐])

You can do things like save it in a variable to be used later, so you don’t have to type it out all the time. The output of that roll looks like this:

You can even have some faces with numbers, some with symbols, and some with words. This is useful for RPGs with successes and extra successes. For example, the results from this die will add up all the actual numbers on their own and everything else separately.

!(100d[💥, 1,1,1,0,0,-1,FAIL])

You can also use dice of any arbitrary size (though I assume there’s a max size). 1d0, 1d1, 1d7, whatever. It’s all good.

If you have any questions, feel free to tag me in a reply here, or if you join the discord (link on this page) you’ll get a much faster response.

I’d also be interested in knowing how you started porting your games over if your system doesn’t exist on Astral.

@Blarghedy -
While I will agree that the custom dice functionality is fairly robust (its big shortcoming is that to achieve weighted results you need to enter each face value separately, but that has already been discussed elsewhere), something that Roll20 has the Astral doesn’t is the ability to have a universal action button that can be defined to roll such a custom die.

I play in the 2D20 Conan system, and “Combat Dice” are used all the time. While I have built custom character sheets that let my players roll the correct number of combat dice for their weapons, and such, situations do come up where I have to tell them to “roll two combat dice”. Invariably, we simply live with 2D6 and interpret the answer, because that’s easier than typing in !(2d[1,2,0,0,1+Effect,1+Effect]) in moments like that. It would be really nice, as GM, to be able to define an action button that is available to all players that simply rolls X combat dice, just as there are the built-in action buttons that roll D4s, D6s, D8s, D10s, D12s and D20s. This is, in my opinion, where the custom dice mechanics in Astral breaks down.

Hi @Giganticube,

Sorry we didn’t meet your expectations. Please remember to drop us some feature requests or vote on existing requests that fit your requirements, that’ll help you get your needs fulfilled sooner rather than later. If you drop a comment on why it’s important to you, it will also bring the topic to the top of the list, increasing it’s visibility to others.

We take all community participation into account when prioritizing new features, so your voice counts!

Thanks for checking us out, hope to see you back soon :slight_smile:

Hi @SnowyRiver,

I was mulling your post and remembered about this request, that could use your vote:

The syntax will depend on how devs approach it, but it could allow you to do something along these lines: !({?HowManyDice?}d[1,2,0,0,1+Effect,1+Effect]); which would prompt you to specify the value for HowManyDice.