Use target attributes in actions

I think that being able to select a target with an action and then pull its attributes could be extremely useful in some systems where damage is actually dependent on the target stats.

This is really because it’s making a Fire Emblem template extraordinarily difficult to do when I can’t calculate damage vs target defense.

I’m seeing a use case for this in the World of Darkness system where your target’s Defense Attribute modifies the number of die in your dice pool. Since it is a dice pool, you can’t just remove a fixed value from the result.

It would be really helpful if players could see some Attributes of a Target token. I’d like players to be able to view the Parry, Toughness, and Wound values. Something like:

Orc with Ascot has Parry 5, Toughness 8, and 0 Wounds. Inflict Shaken on 8, a wound on 12, 2 on 16, 3 on 20, 4 on 24.

You can always add those stats to the Nickname field. The players can see that if your settings show NPC names.

1 Like

FWIW, adding those to the nickname field looks like this: “Orc with ascot. p5, t8, w11”

Would be nice to have a variable you could set in dice rolling formulas that pops up for player entry when the action is clicked. Games like SOTDL and Warhammer 4e would have a need. In those games various conditions add boon/bane or advantage bonuses at DM direction on potentially each roll.

For example warhammer may be a d100 compared against trait or skill, but each roll the DM would adding a +10 or +20.

I know this seems to be more about pulling an attribute, but screen popping on click for a user input would be extremely helpful in some systems.

SOTDL would add boons to the roll based on situation. For each boon you roll an additional d6 and add the highest d6 to the d20 roll. Example | Enter Boon | !(1d20 + ({UsrInput}d6kh1)) |

When clicked it would pop up asking to enter boon. The user puts in 3 and the roll is 1d20+3d6kh1

1 Like

User prompts should also accept text and have default values. An ability I would use a lot would be something like:

The !({input-name|pirate}) rolls a !({input-dice|1d6}) to !({input-reason|climb the mast}).

It really helps to have text like that go into the chat log instead of just the die rolls.