Use Checkboxes and Status icons as Stats

I’d like to use checkboxes as a 1 or 0 value in Actions and Stats.

[x] Distracted, -2 on Skill rolls
[_] Vulnerable
[x] Encumbered

Then my Action formula would be something like:
!( 1d6-{distracted == 1 ? -2 : 0} )

Also useful would be if each Status icon had a name, and my formula could treat them like a checkbox, 1 if present, 0 if not.

For bonus awesome, allow a status icon and checkbox on the character sheet to have the same name, and selecting it on the character sheet would apply the status icon to the token (and vise-versa).

(The example is from Savage Worlds.)

I just realized this partially works. An action that is {distracted} doesn’t work, but {distracted +1} does. It might be that I don’t fully understand the correct syntax.

This is what you are looking for:

!(1d6 - {distracted ? -2 : 0})

If you just test against distracted, it tests true if its checked and false if it isn’t aka boolean 1/0. Each check box does have a name and you can treat them as such. I use it a lot in my sheet.

For example:
{W1_Prim ? (Str_Mod + Dex_Mod - 3) : (W1_Off ? (Str_Mod + Dex_Mod -6) : (W1_Thr or W1_Proj ? Dex_Mod : Str_Mod))

For example in yours you could say:

!(1d6 + {Distracted ? -2 : 0} + {Vulnerable ? -4 : 0} + {Encumbered ? -2 : 0})

Assuming your check boxes were named “Distracted”, “Vulnerable”, and “Encumbered”

The icons on the other hand…that’s definitely a new feature.

Yeah… I think I hit a bug or something.
This code fails: Are you distracted? {Distracted}
This code works: Are you distracted? {Distracted +1}

I wrote the simple code first to see if I could read the value as my way of testing the feature, but it turned out to be a narrow case where the feature doesn’t work. It seems to work fine in more complex formulas.

Try wrapping your curly brackets in parentheses

({Distracted}).

I’ve had good luck getting this to return values when I had the same issue.

1 Like

Remember that Checkbox values are Boolean, either True or False. If you want to do a type conversion try adding 0 to the Checkbox:

{Distracted + 0}

Aha! I was thinking of them as boolean, either 1 or 0. Thinking of the +1 or +0 as forcing a type conversion makes sense to me. Thanks for filling in that mental model for me.

I’m too lazy to check; can you do {Distracted * 3} and get 3 or 0?

Yes.
(Filling in the minimum message size quota)