Reveal/Hide Map Areas

I’d like a quick hide and reveal of map areas similar to what Roll20 offers.

The dynamic vision is wonderful, but sometimes (actually, quite often) we are not so much concerned with precise locations of player tokens and reveal a house or dungeon room-by-room.

Of course, the absolute ideal perfection would be if I could actually define rooms to be revealed and hidden and do so with a click. I can simulate that with layers by putting a black rectangle on top, but if you have lots of layers that becomes a “wait… search… I think it’s this one” matter. Seperating this out (it could use layers and black rectangles under-the-hood for all I care) would help.

Great suggestion, I was actually thinking about this same thing

You can mitigate this by actually renaming the layers :smiley:

Another option you can try is setting up the line of sights in a way where you can turn a whole wall into a door and then just disable it when the characters reveal the room.

What you can do is create a trigger for each “room” that you would like to be able to reveal and drop those on the map right next to that room. Then, when you’re ready to reveal the room you can just click on the trigger instead of having to dig through your map layers to find the correct one to hide.

2 Likes

As LaMorte said, you could create triggers using black boxes overlaid or simply by drawing rooms individually and hiding them to create a system similar to what Epic Table does.

I go back and forth at times as to whether dynamic lighting is worth it or not vs a system like this.

I’ll also you point you in the direction of the fog of war request…I think an implementation of this would have to do something similar to what you are asking for. These types of things are generally implemented separate from dynamic lighting.

1 Like

That Fantasy Grounds feature is perfect. That’s exactly what I want! I hope Astral will implement something like that in the future.

1 Like

Hi @TomVogt,

This feature already exists, in the form of Triggers.

This can be used to reveal areas, basically by using a black square wired to a trigger which is hidden upon clicking. In this instance, the triggers would be invisible to the players as they are set to GM only.

Does this help your particular use-case? If so, how is this different from Fog of War ?

Thanks for the additional clarification!

1 Like

Posting here since I don’t think it’s distinct enough to merit its own thread.

Building off of @SketchParker’s explanation of triggers for FoW, it would be great to have some sort of built-in option that could be automatically tile that on top of the built-in hex/square grid. That would pretty much automate what is otherwise a fairly tedious and repetitive task (adding and renaming mostly identical-looking trigger+cover pairs). Maps that are uncovered as you explore are really useful for wilderness/overworld maps (my particular use case, where a hex is e.g. 1 mile), dark dungeons, and so on.

So the user would say “I would like this map’s grid to be covered in this color/image/texture (or just plain white/black)”, and Astral would add a grid-fitting image (e.g. a hex for hex maps) on each tile, and a small corresponding trigger in the center of each image.

If there’s rooms or areas that the GM wishes to uncover as one (e.g. to avoid hitting 100 triggers for the 50x50ft room with a 5ft grid), they can always select+delete those sections of tile and add a single larger cover+trigger.

Hi @Mechordeus

There is already a Feature Request for Fog Of War which is an automated way of handling this situation.

I would highly suggest searching for and voting / commenting on that Feature Request.

I’ll chime in I suppose, as the feature request my request was tracked in was recently closed as a “duplicate” of this one.

Astral’s lack of a “simple fog of war” feature a la Roll20, Tableplop, etc is literally the only thing keeping me from migrating over. Dynamic lighting is fine for people who prefer that, but I would really just prefer to have the map covered in an opaque-to-players black layer and have the option to selectively remove parts of that layer via click-drag rectangles or multiple point click polygons as they move through the dungeon.

The “put black rectangles on the map with triggers to remove them” option sort of mimics this, but it requires just as much setup as dynamic lighting which somewhat defeats the point. It also doesn’t work very well with irregular shapes like caves.

The essence of this feature request (to me) is the lack of prep needed. Just drag a map onto the play space, size it properly with the grid, and turn on the “simple fog” - done, ready to play in about 5 minutes. This no-prep option is invaluable for those of us who run sandbox campaigns or large megadungeons where we don’t necessarily know where the players will go next. It also tends to be a lot less buggy than dynamic lighting, virtually eliminating the chances of a weird clipping issue revealing half the dungeon. Any implementation that requires pre-defining rooms would somewhat miss the point, which is to just for the GM to be able to selectively hide/reveal parts of the map manually.

2 Likes

I can only agree with @mattprice516 . I once had to make 4 tiles appear and disappear with triggers and it was so much work! Sometimes us masters don’t need a perfectly automated engine that can be setup to do everything on its own without further help or input to handle everything from us - sometimes we just need a black rectangle drawn and deleted on the fly, and that’s it.

And yes, please, just give us a tool that we can trust when dynamic lightning fails. I understand it’s your pride and joy, but it’s so easy to break. This is literally the feature I envy the most to roll20 users.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s the only thing keeping me on Roll20.

3 Likes