Mekton Zeta - Slight issue with dice rolling

Hello all,

Thankfully the plague does not creep through the wires, so’s I can play with me friends. Thank you for this.

Now the problem.
Mekton Zeta ain’t in the list of sheets, which is fine, as it’s an old ass game that few play, I can make most of it myself with minimum fuss. The only problem is in the dice rolling.

Perhaps there is a workaround and you fellows might know a solution?

In Mekton, A 10 on a d10 roll is a crit, which is an exploding dice, which is pretty straightforward in the dice rolling systems, however, a 1 is a, for a lack of better term, anti-crit.
It also explodes, but then is a negative value, and I can’t figure out how to get the dice to roll.

So in theory, I with a 6 in MekGuns could roll a 10, explode, and roll a 5 and get a +15 so 21 total.
Or I could roll a 1, which is a negative explosion, and then a 7 to get a -7+6 = -1 total, which will likely miss unless the enemy also rolls a 1, causing an explosion, then maybe a 10, which would be a big negative explosion. And so on.

I’ve tried a few things but with limited success.

!(1d[-Negative Explosion,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,Explosion!]e<=1|e>=10) Appears to explode only on the 1, not the ten.
!(1d[-Negative Explosion,Explosion!,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,]e<=2) does explode on them, but cannot differentiate the values.

Unless I can parse it in the Action itself with If statements?

Any help in this regard would be most appreciated, it’s probably something simple that I’m missing.

Thank you for your time,
RickEFinn

!(1d[-Negative Explosion,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,Explosion!]e=1e=10)
would give the correct exploding dice, but there is no way to tell Astral’s dice roller that any dice that explode as a result of the first value need to be negative.

I would probably do something like this myself:

!(1d[-Negative Explosion,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,Explosion!]e=10)

Then create a second roll for rolling out a negative explosion:

!(1d[-1,-2,-3,-4,-5,-6,-7,-8,-9,-10]e=1e=10)

Well, that’s half the battle, the next step is probably going to have to be in the action itself…
Hmm, the combine like cl … can it combine Negative Explosion with a negative value? Cause if it’s combined with a -1 and then I use the diceroll to explode?

Combine Like is designed to add dice that have two symbols on them. It wouldn’t work in this situation.

Wait, does that mean it can conditionally roll a new dice based on the first value?
That’d be simpler.

And I mean the Explosion could be one symbol and the Negative equivalent a second…

You said that any negative explosion is always negative, right?

In that case, rolling the second dice would continuously explode the negatives.

I mean, right now with tables I can propose IF it explodes, how bad it is, but if I can tell it to only roll if the explosion occurs, that’s the sweet money right there.

As for explosions, tens always explode and explode, but a 1 on the very initial roll goes in the opposite direction. Big Bad numbers.
At that point you pray they don’t core the cockpit or hit the reactor.

If you used a die like [A, 1, A 1, B, 2, B 1, A B] then used combine like, you could get A(3), B, 1 if you rolled A 1 + A B + A

I’d definitely go for a second Action or a delayed roll for a negative roll, and since the negative die doesn’t explode again, drop the exploding Flag.

hmm, the combine like seems a bit hinky then, I see what it’s for, but I was hoping to tile the numbers like.

[-1 BAD, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, 10 Boom] that way the explosions could be auto tallied. But if I use straight numbers [-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]e=1e=10 that’d be simpler… right. So now the question is the conditional effect in the action.
If a 10, explode and tally.
If a 1, roll the negative explosion dice you had above.

I’m getting pretty close there, thanks for the help.

I mean, I can always use the table and have a “IF a 1” Section constantly rolling, but having it jump out when they roll that 1, that’s where the drama will lie.

And then a delayed roll… Right. Let’s see how that works out.

The delayed roll will suffice. I won’t take up any more of your time with a system as old as this.

Thanks again.

Now to find the list of all the symbols that work…

We pride ourselves in welcoming all systems, old, new, indie or otherwise. Feel free to reach out here on the forums or via Discord when you have issues, there’s an active community that’s very creative when it comes to helping with system support.