Is there support for Fudge/Fate dice?

I skimmed through the posted topics and I didn’t notice this question, so I was wondering if Astral has support for Fudge/Fate dice?

Hi @BloodSweatSteel and welcome to the forums.

Firstly, what are Fudge/Fate die?

Secondly, you can create custom dice that will emulate just about any game dice.

Hello there! Fudge/Fate dice are specially marked 6 sided dice, with 2 plus signs, 2 minus signs, and 2 blank sides. You roll 4 dice and compare plusses and minuses for an effective range of +4 to -4. It’s a bell curve distribution mechanic, with about 60% of the rolls falling between +1 and -1. I’m in the layout phase of a Sword & Sorcery RPG that’s going to be published this year, and it uses this dice mechanic. :slight_smile:

Edit: You get basically the same curve with 4d3-8. Some people also use d6-d6, but that has a flatter curve and goes from +5 to -5.

You could define a custom dice as 1d[-1,-1,1,1,0,0]

Using this method you can change the number of dice and it will still automatically total the value for you.

That is awesome! I started with Maptools back when it was in beta, and then I moved to Roll20. I’m really excited to give Astral a try! Thanks for the tips! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi all :wave:

I’m going to move this topic to https://support.astraltabletop.com/c/tutorials as this request has been resolved.