Export Image as .jpg

Currently the only format available for export is .png. Until PowerVTT has online play available and solidified, I will be using the builder to export files for use with the online competitor.

Now I don’t understand the technical reasons, but it has been reported that large .png can cause performance issues when viewing via a browser. This is less of an issue for individual smaller assets (i.e. tokens that require transparency) but when building large maps, having the option to export as a .jpg would be preferable.

@Korav Interesting point I had never considered, I was unaware large PNG files could affect browser performance.

For transparency, I don’t restrict to PNG for any other reason than, “I was a bit lazy, PNG should cover 99% of cases.”

With that, let me research how easy it would be to export for JPG. The hardest part is going to be figuring out a nice interface so that it’s not cluttered but I’ll be able to figure it out. I’ve added this to the priority.

Thank you for the great suggestion!

Best,
Tom

@Korav Quick update that this is implemented and will make it into the next release.

I’m glad you suggested this, the results are fantastic! I created and exported a simple map (2000x2000): PNG (2.5MB), JPEG (634Kb)

Great suggestion again!

Great news! That will help tremendously.

I am not sure how online play is setup at this stage, but given the screen shots that we have seen and the application so far, I wonder if having the ability to “flatten” the image as a .jpg prior to displaying it would help to optimize bandwidth.

Great thought - I can tell you a bit about how it works if interested.

I had considered compressing the image awhile back but after careful thought I decided against it. Consider the following scenario:

As a GM, I want to move this manhole cover so that my party can traverse down a ladder into the sewers.

If we compressed the image, you couldn’t move that manhole cover. It’s not a deal-breaker but I feel like a lot of users would expect you could move it.

When you upload your map, I upload each texture individually. When your players connect, they download the textures from our global content-delivery network (CDN). I actually have a backup feature though where if your player already has the asset in Power VTT (they bought the same pack, imported the same tiles, etc.), I’ll actually resort to that local copy, saving bandwidth/time loading.

I feel like it’s a good compromise but open to suggestions!

It makes sense. My thought was allowing you to multiselect map layers and choose to flatten those layers. For objects that you want to move, obviously you don’t want them to be flattened.

I think once online play is available, I can plan for some performance testing of larger maps. My concern is that freedom to have all the layers/object be available for quick access/movement that may come at the cost of performance particularly with large environments with many objects. It will be good to understand the limitations.

@Korav Makes sense!

Limitation testing will be much needed, at some point I know I’ll need to restrict the map area (or rather, let you define the size) … In fact now with the background color tool added, I can add a new section up top to define height x width possibly so that your players aren’t bumbling about in infinite space.

Added a ticket for that.

Quick access to layers will work something like this:

• While the game is in session, all tiles are “locked” and the only objects you can move are characters, npcs, monsters, etc.
  • To edit/move a tile, there will be a “Switch to Editor” button which will toggle the editor, you won’t lose any progress in the game and it’ll feel quite seamless. After you make the adjustment, save and it’ll pop you back into the game.

This takes some of the burden/calculation cost of hovering and checking for cursor positions which should help a bit for your players (although testing on my machines, all feels quite fast for both parties.)