Dropdowns for stats

This would probably require my other feature request for stats with text values, linked below.

I would like to be able to have dropdowns on the character sheet. These dropdowns would have a default value selected as well as a pre-filled list of selectable values.

The easiest use case (also mentioned in the feature request below) is to be able to select which ability score each skill on a character sheet is tied to. If I were using this for a 5e character sheet, each skill would have a proficiency checkbox, the name of the skill, a dropdown with the associated ability, and the total bonus. The total bonus would be a stat that was calculated based on the proficiency and selected ability.

A similar use case is with weapons or other attacks. Have stats for the name, the damage, the type of damage (maybe as a dropdown), and the ability associated with the damage (definitely as a dropdown).

The spell sheet can be pre-filled with number of slots (determined by your class level and spellcasting class, which is a dropdown) or attack bonus (determined by proficiency modifier and the selected spellcasting ability).

And so on.

I’m down for this…you could even embed stats rather than just values…that would provide more complex options due to nested stats.

I have actually spoken of combo boxes before. This would allow for more complex sheets, such as selecting a character’s race / class / origin in the sheet and having modifiers automagically applied.

1 Like

yes! Currently I have to fit tiny checkboxes for each race into my sheet to auto calc all my racial bonuses…not ideal compared to a drop down

Just thinking, I would want to right a formula for the contents…which would require more feature richness. Aka the ability to reference a stat with a ternary. Example:

numeric stats:
tumble 2
swim 3
dodge 0

dropdown pick list logic:
{!!!stat>0 ? stat : “”}

Would be nice to also do a ternary match on text as well so that we can creatively name our stats to be included into the dropdown.

My original idea was that each option in a combo box is just a reference to an existing Stat, so that you can already have the formulas or ternaries in place before building the Combo. KISS

Thinking about this or the Combo…I think this is somewhat tied in with compendiums…as the picklist/dropdown could pull from a compendium and fill in other stats on the sheet. Your combo box would do the same…obviously we could do so with a large list of stats as is…but being able to tie this to compendium would be nice…not saying they go for it now…it’s a whole other can of worms to get involved with…but thought this would be a good place to spew might thought spaghetti on it.

I can definitely say this would be absolutely useful for doing things like generating “Can Only do 1 of these on a roll” kinds of uses.

For example, in AGE (like Blue Rose, Modern AGE, Fantasy AGE/Titansgrave, and The Expanse RPG) there is a “Focus” definition, you are only allowed to apply ONE focus to a roll. This would allow the sheet creator to define the drop down of focuses (perhaps a stat-per-focus [we’d need to be able to define a Display Text for stats too])

Then utilize a ternary statement that enforces the appropriate roll when the correct drop down is selected.

The “Focus” system allows for +2 on all focuses, however post-level 11 on AGE systems the player has the option to “re-acquire” a focus, granting them +1s per-re-acquisition so it could be “+2 or more”.

This may not be the BEST outline because the roll for say a will power self-discipline would basically look like this

!(3d6) + {Willpower} + {Willpower_Focus_Self-Discipline}

I separate them out so they display separated btw (I know you can combine them)

But there’s a few but to give an example of the ternary that would be used (using Faith and Self-Discipline, organized alphabetically so 0 = faith, 1 = self-discipline

This assumes I am comparing to an index value (since Faith is first alphabetically it would be Index 0)

!(3d6) + {Willpower} + {Willpower_Focus_Dropdown == 0 ? Willpower_Focus_Faith : Willpower_Focus_Dropdown == 1 ? Willpower_Focus_Self-Discipline : 0}

This could also be used in defining stat calculations for things that might apply based on race

(0 = Halfling, 1 = Orc)
Speed Stat
{Race_Dropdown == 0 ? 8 + Dexterity : Race_Dropdown == 1 ? 10 + Dexterity : 0}

Just one more thing to add to the possibility of facilitating things like character builders.

Decided to make this a separate reply, here’s a visual example of a problem dropdowns would solve from my in progress Blue Rose Sheet, these are all races the user is only suppose to select ONE:

Wonderful, this would help SWADE systems a lot where every stat is a dice, so making it 1d4/1d6/1d8 etc would Help a lot

Now that I’m getting more into sheet editing, wow would this be fantastic.

This becomes each time more important for various systems. Needing it so badly for a Dark Heresy sheet.

Yes. This would be a great addition to the functionality!

Dropdowns just broadly would be nice. If I could put the information for actions into a dropdown it would significantly reduce clutter in the roll window and make accessibility of the information quicker and easier. Would be useful for cleaning up character sheets. I could see this working wonders for PbtA if you could put all of the basic moves into a dropdown. That being said the request mentions stats but not actions. I think having both would be nice.

Having a dropdown of generic actions one might use throughout play sounds really useful. I currently put common actions at the top of the sheet but it tends to clutter if the sheet doesn’t already have a built in place to put common actions. Linking dropdowns to a check box on top of this would make character creation for some games a breeze as well. Consider {warrior_check ? dropdown == warrior moves}.