Would you prefer if Power VTT was a website vs. a desktop application?
- Yes, I would prefer a website
- No, The desktop app is fine
- Doesn’t matter to me
Reason for Asking
Auto-updater is killing me. Every single time I go to update a dependency (because of stability/bugfixes) something new is broken and it causes a mess every single time I go to release something.
I use a technology called Electron behind-the-scenes which means the entire application is nearly ready to use as a website (there would be a medium-size amount of work to rewrite a small layer that utilizes Electron, the rest would work out-of-box.)
Pros of Website
- Nothing to install, would function like Roll20 - Sign up and go
- Bought packs would show up automatically, no installing
- No updating, ever. Everything is always up-to-date
- No dependency/operating system problems
Cons of Website
- Will always require an internet connection
- No more local storage. I would probably cap it at 2GB to start and see what people think from there if we went this route. Assets imported into your vault would be subjected to the 2GB limit unless you had a subscription. (Note: Storage would not be counted against your saved maps/characters since that is only data and all bought/free assets already live on the Power VTT servers.)
- Chrome/FireFox only. I cannot support older browsers. WebGL is required for many of the features (grid, rain, dynamic lighting)
This is a heavy subject and one I want to weigh seriously.
As much as the updater is killing me, is it affecting you? Would you prefer to use a website over an application? Why or why not?