Defined tables/arrays referenceable from stats

It would be useful to reference an item from a list based on other stats or random results. This could take a format similar to arrays in many programming languages, and would allow an author to do quite a bit ‘under the hood’.

A stat with the name Ability1 and the value “Hackerman” could be used to reference other attributes of the ability, such as a description or flavor text.

AbilityDescription could be an array of descriptions
“Hackerman” | “When you attempt to hack the planet, roll twice and take the better”
“Muscleman” | “When you attempt to punch the planet, roll twice and take the better”

then, by referencing AbilityDescription[Ability1] elsewhere, I can pull the value associated with “Hackerman” for use in other places (actions, other stats, etc). This allows the player to change the value in Ability1 and have that automatically propagate changes elsewhere in the character sheet.

This could also facilitate rollable tables.
RandomEncounter could be an array of denizens of some dungeon, keyed by dice result:
1 : “A bunch of kobolds”
2 : “Even more kobolds”
3 : “Seriously who’s idea was this?”
4 : “Oh god a dragon”

RandomEncounter[{1d4}] could be rolled to evaluate the roll and report the result.

This would be good for Fate too, I’d like to put the Fate skill list in this way.

This can already be done ingame by using custom die. For instance, A hit location dice (For Runequest/Mythras):

!(1d[Right Leg, Right Leg, Right Leg, Left Leg,Left Leg,Left Leg,Abdomen,Abdomen,Abdomen,Chest,Chest,Chest, Right Arm,Right Arm,Right Arm,Left Arm,Left Arm,Left Arm,Head,Head])

Tables for string common data (Such as Weapon Stats, spells and effects) would be a major asset though. That is requested in another thread. Rather than splitting the votes (Thus lowering the priority) if data tables are something you want, it may be an idea to recast your votes there. :slight_smile:

Could you link the thread you think duplicates this request? I’ve seen a few that reference 'tables", especially rollable ones (to which the answer often seems to be something along the lines of your custom die answer), but nothing that deals with tables or arrays in the first sense that I am describing here.

As for the custom die example, that’s (in my opinion) a fairly desperate workaround to what should be a simple problem. It really breaks down when you start using compound die rolls, like trying to look up the result of a 3d6.