Animated Dice Rolls

It would be cool to have an option to see actual dice roll on the screen

Hi @Xonthintai

This feature has been in planning for a long time, but other features have taken preference.

Feature Requests are prioritized based on the number of Votes and relevant comments made on each Feature Request.

9 Likes

Such a feature would be really cool for immersion !

5 Likes

Ping here – some players really like it and adds tension and immersion to the screenplay.

5 Likes

The dice roller system is really nice in Astral, but coming from the 3D dice in Roll20, just having a pair of digits show in the chat feels somewhat underwhelming. Would love to see the 3D dice feature soon!

12 Likes

Having those dice remain persistent on the screen, intractable until the roll is finished would be fantastic for games with dice pools where you need to pair up dice, or add some and set others aside. Games like Cortex (which will be seeing a huge launch very soon) almost need this where you keep two from your pool and add them for result, while dice that rolled 1s have a different outcome, and another dice is picked as an effect dice. Right now, playing something like Cortex or PIP System would be a nightmare with the chat box dice.

7 Likes

I’m surprised more people arent voting this one up. this and the fog of war are the only things stopping me buying astral right now instead of considering alternatives.

It would be a good money earner for Astral too, they could sell dice skins on the marketplace. I would buy a couple if the price was decent!

5 Likes

How would you like this to function? You roll dice, they appear on the screen, and you can move them around? Would you want to be able to send the ones you select to chat, or even to the action that rolled them? What else would you want? This is honestly the first time I’ve thought about being able to interact with the dice themselves, and it’s an interesting thought. There’s definitely a lot to explore there.

4 Likes

An option to choose if 3d dice are shown or not. If so, custom color dice rolling over the screen. When another action is clicked they dissapear. (The same as Roll20 but with color options for both die and number)

6 Likes

I aggree with this option, or even having custom or limited time dice sets as part of the community workshop would be great as well

3 Likes

Been waiting for this one for quite some time now.

3 Likes

Just played (as a player) using one of the other VTT options that has the animated 3D dice and I found that it greatly added to the fun of playing D&D. I think if Astral had that feature it would be just about perfect. Astral is already epic and adding the 3D dice would be like a Critical hit to the face!

5 Likes

IMO this would be an optional feature (but I expect most would choose to use it, especially if you came from playing in person games and you like the dice) and essentially anytime you make a roll, a 3D version of the appropriate dice would roll across the screen (bouncing off the borders maybe) and show everyone the natural roll while the sum total still appears in the chat. Would also be cool if everyone could select their own color dice… Just my thoughts.

4 Likes

A possible reason that people have not up voted this topic could be that it used to be tagged with “custom dice coming soon” right on the UI, so people may have just assumed it was destined to be a feature (therefore there was no need to up vote it).
Also, I think this is one of those features that is quite under-appreciated until a person gets to try it out. The action of RPG’s is around the rolling of the dice and Roll20’s 3D dice bouncing across the screen are almost as good as the real thing.
I really hope Astral can make this improvement. Thanks.

6 Likes

I know a lot of my players very much would like this feature. If it is implemented, It would be nice to have an option to locally disable the feature, for people who may have less powerful PCs.

4 Likes

Upvoted, would love to see this feature to add to the immersion for my players!

4 Likes

Definitely upvoted! My party and I recently transferred from Roll20 and this is one of the things we dearly miss. It really adds a level of suspension and excitement to our games.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

I suggest encouraging the rest of your party to join the forums and voice/vote their opinions as well. This will surely increase the chances of being implemented before other stuff.

2 Likes

Same, I would love to see this feature added on Astral, I’m completely in love with this VTT, but it really lacks this bit of immersion, thank you all developers for the amazing work done so far.

3 Likes

+1 on that. Just seeing a video about Foundry VTT with 3d dices rolled on battlemaps, it’s a great feature for player’s immersion and hope we will see that on Astral soon.

4 Likes